Monday, January 9, 2023

Prototype Rails 2023

 









Recently, I returned to Prototype Rails in Cocoa Beach this past weekend and enjoyed meeting with several good friends. The model displays were great opportunity to see hundreds of excellent models. Whether you are a SAL, ACL, New Haven, PRR, Penn Central, or UP modeler, the meet allows you to see some excellent craftsmanship on hand. I hadn't seen several of my fellow modelers in years, one in a decade, but I can tell without a doubt, meeting with like minded modelers, will definitely rekindle any interests, and strengthen lines of communication concerning a variety of projects.

The meet was also an opportunity to grab some much needed material from the ACL & SAL Historical Society, Bob's Photo, Cannon and Company, and from private sellers who had several kits of interest for for future publication. The friendships made through the years have certainly cemented a desire in me to continue prototype modeling, and it was evident as I searched the collection of my late friend, Bill Welch, who had several kits I will use. 

I also met with multiple manufacturers such as Cannon and Company, ScaleTrains, and Class One Model Works who displayed some amazing pre-production models. It was a great time to bend their ears about how several of their wares were appropriate for my favorite railroads, Seaboard Air Line, Atlantic Coast Line, and Seaboard Coast Line. Rest assured ideas were shared and I will continue to assist the ideas along as more information is gathered and shared.


As I raced home Saturday night, I envisioned which ACL and SCL Phosphate boxcars I would be constructing, and how I was going to use several prototype photos on hand to produce the most accurate model possible, and then use those projects to fill the pages of another issue of the Seaboard-Coast Line Modeler. As a shameless plug, here is the latest issue which can be downloaded for free from the ACL & SAL Historical Society's website located at https://www.aclsal.org/publications .


In my downtime, I would often head to Bob's Photo collection and browse endlessly through thousands of photos which suited my interests. I purchased enough photos to complete an endless train of FGE, SCL, SAL, and ACL subjects of interest. 

As I collected my thoughts Sunday, I sadly learned Mike Brock, one of the founders of the meet, passed away. I knew Mike well enough through presenting at previous meets, to know he was a gentlemen, a man of many hats, genuine, and his desire to promote the RPM movement was at the forefront of his effort. This year's meet was significant for me as it emboldened friendships and made for the realization that these finite days we are given on the big round rock need to be utilized for the best. Time spent recreating these models is not as enjoyable without the fellowship of friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment