Saturday, June 8, 2024

Hopper Work

I've been building a fleet of hoppers that won't typically ever see the Boca Grande route, but they are serving as fodder for an upcoming issue of the Seaboard-Coast Line Modeler. There will be a quartet of hoppers built by Pullman-Standard, Pressed Steel Car Company, and ACF as I get the latest issue behind me and off to the readers. In a galaxy far, far away, this blog was once focused on the Georgia Railroad and its affiliates, the Atlanta & West Point and the Western Railway of Alabama. The majority of my research materials, photos, and model collection can be used for a variety of subjects under the Seaboard Coast Line umbrella which is beneficial for those times when I don't have the proper model to build a SCL related prototype. The USRA hopper is an interesting prototype, and my good friend Bill Welch would hopefully approve. 








2 comments:

  1. Welded patches? Milwaukee Road had quite a few such repaired rib-side boxcars, some of which were more welded patches than ribs. Just thin pieces of styrene?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I used thin strips of Evergreen .010” were used and sanded thin and applied to the sides of the hoppers to represent welded repairs.

    ReplyDelete